Re: pcmcia network on boot

    "Alexey" == Alexey Chetroi <debian@twilight.telco.md> writes:

    Alexey> I've just installed woody on my travelmate 512T
    Alexey> laptop. Everything works fine even pcmcia (expected
    Alexey> trouble with it) but I have a minor issue when the system
    Alexey> boots up.  I've added to /etc/network/interfaces

    Alexey> auto eth0
    Alexey> iface eth0 inet dhcp.

Take out the auto line!

    Alexey> The interface get configured if I unplug/plug card, but
    Alexey> not on the system boot.

That is because your auto line causes an attempt to bring it up that
fails when networking is started ('ifup -a'). When PCMCIA starts it
probably finds an entry for eth0 in /etc/network/ifstate and does not
try to bring it up (or may be it is the auto keyword, I can't recall
anymore). But the root cause is the first try  because of the auto
keyword.

    Alexey> From system boot sequence I see that eth0 is configured
    Alexey> before the pcmcia bus manager is started, so should I make
    Alexey> link to /etc/init.d/pcmcia in /etc/rcS.d ? or there's out
    Alexey> of box way?

Nope. Just don't use auto.

I'm writing this using a laptop with a very minimal Debian Woody
install and a PCMCIA wirless card as a terminal to my desktop
machine. It boots and brings up the dhcp wlan card just fine :-)

Cheers!
Shyamal