Re: Can't get ATI Rage128 to work with XFree86 on Debian

This one time, at band camp, Carlos Sousa said:
> I have an ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF, and I can get X to
> work fine, and even report X acceleration, but I have to be *extra careful*
> no to run anything that will use that acceleration (using X 4.2.1 in testing).
>
> Running flightgear, for instance, will work OK for a few minutes, then
> hang my machine in a way that only the magic sysreq will help, sometimes
> not even that.
>
> I already lost dozens of hours over the last year searching the net for
> a magical XFConfig setting, to no avail. It seems my card and OpenGL just
> don't get along.
>
> Could you shed a bit more light on this? Perhaps the relevant sections of
> your XFConfig file?
>
> Thanks.

OK, I'll share the relevant parts, but they're pretty straightforward.
Note that if you're using X 4.2, then you need a pretty new kernel
driver for it, or else you get version mismatches, and DRI fails (thank
Colin for this)

steve@gashuffer:~$ uname -a
Linux gashuffer.lobefin.net 2.4.20-rc1 #1 SMP Sun Nov 3 14:05:24 EST 2002 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
(sorry about the bad wrap)

steve@gashuffer:~$ less /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
<lots snipped>
Section "Module"
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "pex5"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"
        Load    "xie"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Rage 128"
        Driver          "ati"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "ATI Rage 128"
        Monitor         "ViewSonic"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

steve@gashuffer:~$ dpkg -l xserver* | grep ii
ii  xserver-common  4.2.1-3        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-xfree86 4.2.1-3        the XFree86 X server

Sorry everybody for the long mail.  Like I said, it's fairly stock.  The
mode lines are for a 17" monitor - you may have to modify those for your
use.

HTH,
|Stephen Gran                  | Think sideways!   -- Ed De Bono               |
|steve@lobefin.net             |                                               |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |