Re: Can't get ATI Rage128 to work with XFree86 on Debian

This one time, at band camp, Holger Wiechert said:
> Hi,
>
> after a hell of a time trying to get my ATI Rage 128 to work with XFree86 on
> Debian (Woody), it's time to get help from the
> outside...
> I tried the stuff recommended from
> dri.sourceforge.net (installing the xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk package).
> As I came closer, it still doesn't work.
> The current state is the error message in
> XFree86.0.log:
> (EE) R128(0): [dri] R128DRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
> [dri] r128.o kernel module version is 2.1.6 but version 2.2 or greater is
> needed.
>
> Whatever that means. I compiled the r128.o using a 2.4.18-kernel. Installed
> is XFree86 4.2.1.
>
> What is of version 2.1.6?
> So what the hell do I have to do to get that
> damn thing to work?
> I can live without any 3D stuff. So, if that helps....
>
> Thanks in advance, Holger

What exactly is failing?  Do you have a functioning Xsession, but no
acceleration?  No functional Xsession?  I have one of those cards, and
it works fine here, and has 3D acceleration.  Let me know what the
probem is, and I'll try to help.

|Stephen Gran                  | The reason computer chips are so small is     |
|steve@lobefin.net             | computers don't eat much.                     |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |