Re: Gnome / Gtk menu fonts: galeon, mozilla, pan, gabber (sid/unstable)

This one time, at band camp, Karsten M. Self said:
> Menu fonts for a number of applications, most of them Gnome / Gtk apps
> (and I suspect the latter) are now larger than I'd like them to be.
>
> Apps affected include Galeon, Pan, Gabber, Mozilla, and dillo.
>
> With recent upgrades, I've now got Gnome2 partially installed on this
> x86 Debian/unstable system.  Some of the native Gnome2 tools *do* have
> the proper system fonts, as do some (but not all) apps (most notably:
> Mozilla) when run under a Gnome2 session (my standard desktop is
> WindowMaker).
>
> I seem to recall modifying application fonts via the "old" Gnome 1
> control panel.  The Gnome2 control panel settings aren't taking for most
> of these apps.  I've also tried fishing under ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome2 but
> can't find anything that appears to be a general menus font setting.
>
> I've also found references to gtkrc files, either under /etc or
> ~/.gtkrc, but I'm not sure what the syntax or possible contents are, and
> can find no other related documentation.
>
> Anyone got a work-through for this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peace.

Karsten,
Fonts (in particular Truetype fonts) changed quite a bit just recently.
I don't have a workthrough for you, just to suggest you make sure you
have x-ttcidfont-conf installed, and that you check the archives.

As for configuring GNOME1 apps in a GNOME2 environment, it is possible,
but not easy.  Someone on the gtk-gnome list suggested getting the
source of the GNOME1 control center, and redoing the
conflicts/dependencies to allow it to be installed at the same time as
the GNOME2 control center.  I would think there would be a better way,
and if I come up with it, I'll let you know.

|Stephen Gran                  | Q: What do you call a WASP who doesn't work   |
|steve@lobefin.net             | for his father, isn't a  lawyer, and          |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | believes in social causes? A: A failure.      |