Re: Woody & Shorewall Package missing a dependency (iproute)???

On 20 Nov 2002, 17:26:01, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 15:42, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> >
> > I installed Shorewall on a Woody systems and couldn't get it started following
> > the quickstart guide.  The /etc/shorewall/firewall script exited with:
> >
> > ip:  command not found
> >
> > The quickstart doc mentions that redhat users need to be sure that the iproute/iproute2
> > package is installed so that the ip command is available.
> >
> > This, apparently, also applies to debian folk as well.

> I don't know about debian (just came back to linux from solaris) but
> iproute2 only have to be installed if you use certain syntax/feature. it
> is workeable without it. I guess it should be suggested and not
> dependent. did you install it with apt or with dselect? (it's my
> understanding that apt only install dependent packages and doesn't say
> anything about suggested).

I installed shorewall with apt-get.  My sources.list points to stable.

I have no problem installing iproute (I did this).  What I don't understand
is why the shorewall Debian package didn't identify iproute as a necessary
dependency.

madmac

--
Doug MacFarlane