Re: Fonts in netscape and acroread menus

on Wed, Nov 06, 2002, Tim Dijkstra (newsuser@famdijkstra.org) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently one of the users of my machine (running testing) has been
> experiencing problems with fonts. Now I must say there have been some
> changes regarding fonts, xfree had a update also I have thrown away some
> non-free fonts, etc.
>
> To be more specific, in both netscape and acroread she is seeing squares
> instead of the correct glyphs. The weird thing is that I'm not having
> this problem. So my question is, what personal config files could be
> influencing the fonts netscape and acroread use in their menus? In the
> case of acroread it's not .acrorc, I tried that.

If you haven't already resolved this...

The issue is almost certainly that you're seeing extended characterset
fonts being used on applications which only know how to deal with 8-bit
fonts.

As both Netscape and Acrobat Reader respect Xt X resources, you may be
able to experiment with setting appropriate resources for the apps.

From an old post of mine, some Netscape resources:

    http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2000-September/000939.html

I believe you can use the listres or viewres utilities to get a list of
resources used by an X application.

Peace.

   Keep software free.         Oppose the CBDTPA.         Kill S.2048 dead.
     http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html