Re: Booting a full Debian system from floppy or CD

Doug MacFarlane, 2002-Nov-19 19:10 +0000:
> On 19 Nov 2002, 09:47:00, Jeff wrote:
> >

> > Doug MacFarlane, 2002-Nov-19 14:19 +0000:
> > This looks to me like lilo did not get run.  During install did you
> > run the process called "Make system bootable"?  That install lilo.
> > You have a choice to install it in MBR or on the /boot or /
> > partitions.  I suggest running lilo as root once booted and see if
> > that fixes your booting issue.  You will need to edit /etc/lilo.conf
> > to add the new kernel as well, and then run lilo after editing.
>
> I installed LILO during the install in the MBR of /dev/hda and it doesn't
> come up upon boot.  I reran the "Make System Bootable" step and tried installing
> LILO in /dev/hda5, the / partition, and it doesn't come up on boot.  I've
> got a valid /etc/lilo.conf (when I run lilo it tells me that the two stanzas
> are installed, including the stanza for the 2.4.28 kernel, which includes
> the init=/initrd.img line).  But LILO doesn't run.
>
> I will address this problem later - my real headache is that I need to get
> the 2.4.18 kernel booting now, however I can.

You should consider using grub.  With grub, you can create a boot disk
that will boot anything, as I understand it.  I personally haven't
made to move to grub yet, but I plan to do so.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User