>     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>     :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
>     :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
>     :pl#66
>     :pw#80
>     :pc#150:\
>     :mx#0:\
>     :sh:

this is likely the source of the problem. many programs use
/etc/printcap to find out how to print. This is NOT a cups
printcap file.

a cups printcap file looks like:

lp:

where lp is the name of the printer, thats it! nothing else.

sounds like you have 2 print spoolers installed and depending on
how you print depends on which spooler gets called.

so I would suggest:

remove all software such as:

magicfilter, apsfilter, lpr, lprng

(apt-get --purge remove magicfilter apsfilter lpr lprng)

be sure cups and the needed drivers are installed, for my epson
I use the gimp-print driver(yours may be different but gimp-print
has a TON of drivers so chances are fairly good it supports it,
if not there are others ..)

these are the cups packages I have:

cupsys						install
cupsys-bsd					install
cupsys-client					install
cupsys-driver-gimpprint				install
cupsys-pstoraster				install
libcupsys2					install
libqtcups2					install
qtcups						install

(apt-get install cupsys cupsys-bsd ..etc..etc..)

once all of that is installed, point your webbrowser to
http://localhost:631 (you must be on the machine that has the
cups attached to it I believe or  you will be deined access by
default, you can change this behavior in the config files located
in /etc/cups). You will need the root password, add a new printer(if
there is one already, delete it I suggest to start from scratch).

I checked my driver list and the HP 1120C is available in the
gimp-print drivers. so it should work. once the printer is added,
click the print test page, with any luck you should get a full
color test page from CUPS.

if that works, I reccomend one of 2 things

1) edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf look for the printcap line and
change it to point to /etc/printcap instead of /etc/printcap.cups
2) or make a symlink, cd /etc ; ln -s printcap.cups printcap
(restart cups with /etc/init.d/cupsys restart if you do #1)

after that things should work a bit better I think.

good luck!

nate