Re: getting an address from DHCP without an interface

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [2002.11.18.1816 +0100]:
>> Idea1:  It seems strange that you can't use the same interface to dhcp
>> on the second time.  Just render the client impotent so that it does
>> not change the current parameters.
>
> can you elaborate on this?

I think that the dhclient program does not do anything when it
receives a DHCP packet, except for invoking /etc/dhclient-script.
Therefore, if /etc/dhclient-script does not reconfigure the interface,
then dhclient won't, either.

I gather that "not reconfiguring the interface" is what you would
like to do.

kai