Re: getting an address from DHCP without an interface

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2002-11-18 10:28:55 +0100]:
> also sprach Kai Gro?johann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> [2002.11.18.1001 +0100]:
> > The normal dhcp-client package includes a script /etc/dhclient-script
> > which is invoked to do all the work.  It provides hooks.  And also,
> > you can of course replace the file with your own.
>
> But dhcp-client requires an interface. My interface has a static IP
> and yet I still want to obtain a lease (for other purposes). So
> dhclient does not work.

Idea1:  It seems strange that you can't use the same interface to dhcp
on the second time.  Just render the client impotent so that it does
not change the current parameters.

Idea2:  Create a virtual interface and use DHCP on that.  Linux
supports IIRC up to 255 virtual interfaces.  (Now you will ask how to
do that and I don't know off of the top of my head.  Would need to
look it up.  But I recall it being a trivial ifconfig one-liner.)

Bob