Re: Interested.

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 14:19, Rauno Merisalu wrote:
> I have Debian Linux installed on my computer but I have a couple of
> questions. What is basically the difference for example between Redhat
> and Debian linux? I have noticed that there are some files located in
> different directories and the package system is differend (.deb
> and .rpm) but basically what is the difference?

The difference is technical and filosofical and is to much to explain
here. I suggest you read the debian policy and social-contract and other
documents on the debian website. These will explain most of the reasons
debian does something a specific way. Redhat is a commercial company and
work in a completely different way then the volunteer driven
non-commercial debian project.

> Then I´d like to know the apt-get server what is the most recently
> upgraded. I have tried the closest ones to me (finland and sweden) but
> I still do have older versions of for example irssi. And what about
> KDE. I have said "apt-get install kde" and the other packages but I
> still have 2.2.x version. Why aren´t these (finnish and swedish)
> servers up to date? Or is it just me, do I have to do something to
> upgrade my things. I know that I can download for example KDE from
> downloads.com but i have to download so many files that it´ll get
> complicated or is there an easier way to do it?

You're servers are most likely very up-to-date. There are just no
updates for the debian version your running (probably 'stable', the
latest 'released' version.). Debian prefers to only release well-tested
and stable software. If you want to run cutting-edge new tools consider
running the 'testing' or 'unstable' releases of debian. This is however
not recommended for newbies and for servers.

Or read up on apt-pinning and install a few select packages from the
unstable tree.
--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT