Re: Postscript printer help

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 08:27, Gerald Livingston wrote:
> I was given a postscript (level 2) capable color laser printer (HP Color
> LaserJet 5M). What should I use as a print spool setup? I've installed
> CUPS but it doesn't seem to be offering a plain postscript dump option.
> I located a .ps file on my system
> (/usr/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps) and just did a 'cat
> /usr/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps>/dev/lp0' and it worked
> beautifully, color and all.
>
> Should I remove all CUPS related packages and simply install lprng and
> magicfilter?

You can charge a ppd file to be put in the correct diretory in order to tell
CUPS what printer exactly you and what are its capabilities (see the
documentation about cups on www.linuxprinting.org, look at the exact model of
printer you have; the ppd file is probably there)

More simply, you can choose "raw printer" as the model of your printer in
CUPS. In this case, you will not be able to configure your printer.