Re: Cannot access box after hdparm experimenting

Rogier Wolff kirjoitti 19.11.2002 kello 09:43:

> It looks as if you crashed your system badly by playing with hdparm.

You got that right!

> That usually doesn't happen.

Hope your right. Next time (if I'm brave enough to try again) I'll follow the
instructions given in the articles that I was reading more carefully. In one
article it said to go to single user mode, but I ignored that and fiddled with
hdparm whilst in X.

> The crash somehow managed to corrupt your harddisk so that essential
> programs (init, bash) are now corrupted and no longer on your disk.

I rebooted the system using my 'parted boot/root disks' - linux root=/dev/hda3
didn't work. I mounted the root-fs and had a look around. There was no /lib directory
and a lost+found directory that was full mainly of ordinary files and some directories.
All had numbers for their names.

I suppose the lack of system libraries explains why the kernel was not able to use/find
/sbin/init.

Other than the missing /lib the system seems intact. I shall create a temporary partition with
'parted', fill it with important configuration files and then reinstall. Shouldn't take too
long and it'll give me an opportunity to test a debian woody cd that I burnt a few days ago.

Thanx for the assistance.

t.urk

Maksuton sähköposti aina käytössä http://luukku.com
Kuukausimaksuton MTV3 Internet-liittymä www.mtv3.fi/liittyma