Re: Cannot access box after hdparm experimenting

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 06:14:53PM +0200, Ulla Russell wrote:
> When I reboot now the booting progresses better but then stops
> with the message:
>
>    "kernel panic: No init found. try passsing init= option to kernel"
>
> I rebooted and tried typing the following at the lilo prompt:

Hi,

It looks as if you crashed your system badly by playing with hdparm.
That usually doesn't happen.

The crash somehow managed to corrupt your harddisk so that essential
programs (init, bash) are now corrupted and no longer on your disk.

How much else is gone, I don't know. It will take some work to get
working again. You'd have to boot from CD or floppy to be able to
rescue this.

I find it unlikely that you need to rerun "lilo" or "grub" (whatever
you're using). You might need to figure out where your root fs
is: If that ended up wrong, it's logical that it can't find
the utilities.

But I find it much more likely that you had a major fs-screwup,
and that fsck put everything in lost+found, instead of that a few
bits fell over and magically altered your root parttion into something
that DOES mount, but DOES NOT contain an init and bash.

				Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
* The Worlds Ecosystem is a stable system. Stable systems may experience *