Re: DHCP Kernel Options - where to set?

[...]

>> If you want to have it loaded every time you boot up, add a line to
>> the end of /etc/modules that just says "af_packet".  You could
>> instead try adding a line "alias net-pf-17 af_packet" (at least
>> that's what the kernel docs say) to /etc/modutils/aliases and running
>> update-modules.  That would be the cleaner approach, but I'm not 100%
>> sure if that will load the module when dhclient attempts to use it.

Doug> Is that the "Debian" way?  Or should I run modconf and select it
Doug> to be loaded at boot time?

I'm not entirely sure if there *is* a "Debian" way for this.  The
"update-modules" script is the Debian way for editing /etc/modules.conf,
but for /etc/modules, I don't think there's any special Debian thing for
that.  I have never used modconf, so I can't say anything about it, but
I assume that if you use it to select af_packet to be loaded at boot
time, it will just edit /etc/modules for you, and nothing more.

My recommendation:  If you care about "cleanness", and have time to
experiment, try adding "alias net-pf-17 af_packet" to
/etc/modutils/alias, and running update-modules, rebooting, and see if
that works.  The only reason I say this approach is more "clean" is that
it would only load the af_packet module when it's needed.  But if "when
it's needed" turns out to be "all the time", it doesn't really gain you
much from a practical standpoint.

If you don't care about "cleanness" and/or just want to get things
running, add the "af_packet" line to /etc/modules.  It won't break
anything, and the worst that could happen is that you get a warning that
it can't find the af_packet module if you ever switch to a kernel which
has it compiled in, rather than compiled as a module.  (I'm not even
sure you'll get the warning message.)

Neither approach will cause any problems with any other part of the
Debian system.  (Just don't try to edit /etc/modules.conf directly --
always use update-modules.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA