Re: Upgrade from potato to woody?

thanks.  I'm trying it right now.

nate wrote:
tjm3 said:

Hello.  I'm about to upgrade my system from potato to woody
and was wondering what is the latest recommendation for the
upgrade sequence.  I know this has been posted before, but
I haven't come across one lately.  Just looking to get it
right the first time.  I think it was to upgrade apt and dpkg
to the woody version first, then apt-get dist-upgrade.

don't need to.

if your sources.list has references to 'stable' (as opposed to
potato) just run

apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade

no reboot required, no new kernels will be installed unless you
specifically request it.

I've upgraded about 30 systems from potato to woody and had flawless
results for al of them except 1(which was due to bad memory, I
was still able to recover it manually within about 20 minutes).

in all cases I run my own kernels so I do not request a kernel
upgrade from my friend apt-get

if your sources.list references potato, change it to say stable
instead(or woody if you want to be safe, to prevent an accidental
upgrade when the next 'stable' comes out.)

nate

--
tony mollica
tmollica@silcom.com