Re: Various Questions

hiya,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 11:56:05PM -0800, Michelle Storm wrote:
> Just a few questions:
> 1) Whenever I restart my system. My /tmp dir is cleared. Is there a way
> to stop this from happening so that tmpreaper will deal with it.

honestly i think the best course is to not leave anything important
in /tmp, because /tmp is for temporary files and really ought to
be cleaned every boot.  however, if you want to override this, the
actual call to rm /tmp is in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh, which is symlinked
to in all of the apropriate sysv dirs.  make sure that you comment
out the lines and not delete the entire script, because i think it
does some other stuff as well, and it's actually called from elsewhere.

> 2) I'm running apache with php4. It's working just fine. My domain is
> currently redirected to my webserver.
>
> Domain = www.storms-elite.net
> When I open mozilla and enter: http://www.storms-elite.net
> it opens up: http://ursine.dyndns.org/~jade
>
> IF I open a web-browser on a different computer and enter:
> http://www.storms-elite.net
> it opens to: http://12.241.211.228
> This is the correct one.

that's what i get too.

> What is on my system that might be causing it to not update. (I think
> something is cached or stored and won't let the old one go.)

was this a problem that was fixed in the past?  it's possible that the
machine from which you're doing DNS queries has stale data.  it's also
possible that it's an apache mis-configuration.  do you have ServerName
set to the dyndns hostname?  also, if you're running your own name
server, you can get it to reload it's data by sending it a SIGHUP i've
heard, and restarting/reloading it from /etc/init.d/<nameservername> might
to the trick as well.

> The second problem is:
>
> When I open mozilla and enter: http://12.241.211.228/~jade
> it occasionally changes the ip to http://127.0.0.1/~jade

are you on the same machine as the webserver?

> OR it does says contacting: http.com <-- this always fails, and I don't
> know why it's doing that.

neither do i :)

hth,
	sean