Re: ldap re-creating database

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 00:13:28 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 07:45:37PM -0800, nate wrote:
> | mdevin said:
> | > On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 18:49:40 -0800, nate wrote:
> |
> | > Thanks, it worked straight away.  But you have scared me now.  I want to
> | > migrate over other stuff too for host information, users passwords etc.
> | > Should I keep using the perl scripts in migrationtools and then slapadd
> | > to add the files they generate.  Should I try to use ldapadd instead
> | > somehow?
> |
> | you can use slapadd to add the minimum(needed so you can authenticate)
> | then use ldapadd for the rest ..
> |
> | for my authentication i have a toplevel admin account, so in theory
> | i would only need to slapadd 2 entries to authenticate? I think.
>
> To work around that chicken-vs-egg problem, specify an admin dn and
> password in the slapd.conf file.  Then you can bind, using any client
> -- ldapadd, gq, web2ldap, (whatever) -- to manage the database.

Can you spell that out even more for this ldap newbie?
In my slapd.conf I do have the following:
rootdn          "cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com"
rootpw          {SSHA}JuaWFhw+AXDgppTgOJPtpZARL1PpWRoj

Yet if I try using ldapadd like this:
ldapadd -x -D "cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com" -W -f hosts.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials

I used slappasswd to generate the password and cut and paste it into the
slapd.conf file.

Hmmm, I am stumped.

Cheers.
Mark.