Small problem with update-menus

When I run it, it mostly works, except for the following:

Could not open dir "KMail/"
/etc/menu-methods//afterstep: Aborting
Update-menus[11613]: Script /etc/menu-methods//afterstep returned error status 1.

There is a KMail subdirectory (in fact, there are 2, one nested inside
the other).  The inclusion of the slash seems odd.

I'm running KDE3 on a mostly testing system.

I can't track down where this is coming from.  Has anyone any ideas
about this, please?

TIA for any help

Cam
--