Re: extra multimedia keys

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 04:10:22PM -0500, Levi Waldron wrote:
> Is there a way to configure the extra keys on my laptop  - play, stop, FF, RW
> - to work with a software CD player?
>
> I have found the funkey kernel patch - http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/funkey/
> - but is there a Debian way?  (Woody 2.4.18)

You probably don't need to patch your kernel or do anything funky to get
them to work.  At least on my Microsoft Natural keyboard with multimedia
and "internet keys", the keys already generated keysyms in X.  They have
names like XF86Standby for the "Sleep" key, and XF86VolMute or something
like that.

Here are the keys as I've got them defined in my .xmodmap:
keycode 0xEA =  XF86Back
keycode 0xE9 =  XF86Forward
keycode 0xE8 =  XF86Stop
keycode 0xE7 =  XF86Refresh
keycode 0xE5 =  XF86Search
keycode 0xE6 =  XF86Favorites
keycode 0xB2 =  XF86HomePage
keycode 0xEC =  XF86Mail
keycode 0xA0 =  XF86AudioMute
keycode 0xAE =  XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 0xB0 =  XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 0xA2 =  XF86AudioPlay   XF86AudioPause
keycode 0xA4 =  XF86AudioStop
keycode 0x90 =  XF86AudioPrev
keycode 0x99 =  XF86AudioNext
keycode 0xED =  XF86AudioMedia

Once you've got the keysyms bound, you can do interesting things with
them.  It's usually in your window manager that you do this.  Sawfish
has xmms bindings available, so you can easily bind the multimedia keys
to xmms actions.  It's also pretty easy to get Window Maker to do useful
things with a given keypress.

noah