Re: [OT] CD-R Requirements (or Giving Back To Windows Users)

This one time, at band camp, Bill Moseley said:

> This is a rather non-specific question:
>
> Will CD writing quality be effected if the machine is doing other
> tasks?  Of course the answer is "it depends", but here's what I'm
> considering:

It depends (sorry, couldn't help myself) (^:

> So my simple question is:  See any reason this machine can't be both a
> NAT/firewall/fetchmail machine and burn CDs without errors?  My guess
> that would not be a problem, especially since the drive is SCSI.

No, I don't see any problems.

> I'm not looking for any hard answers.  But I don't want to waste my
> time building the NAT/firewall if all we end up with is a machine that
> sits there ready to burn CDs.  I guess am looking for people that have
> a similar setup -- that will help convince my friend that this is a
> good way to set up the machine.
>
> Thanks,

FWIW, I used to have an AMD 400 or thereabouts, that ran as my desktop,
burned CD's on a SCSI drive, and NAT/firewalled a second computer.
Never had a problem, until one day the motherboard fried during a heat
wave, but I think that was unrelated.
|Stephen Gran                  | I don't get no respect.                       |
|steve@lobefin.net             |                                               |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |