Re: Callback ppp

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 12:01:23AM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> Alexey Chetroi [debian-user] <15/11/02 10:21 +0200>:
> > On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:45:16PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> > >
> > > At work they've installed a callback RAS.
> > >
> > > I've read the PPP documentation and had a look at the callback scripts
> > > that are far from being intuitive and easy to use.
> >
> >  man pppd is enough and there's always your friend google :)
> > pppd from woody supports "callback 123456" option. Exit code of pppd
> > is 14 on successful callback negotiation. Right after that I start pppd
> > with regular options beside chat-script: chat-script just should answer the
> > incoming call. It also possible to use dial-on-demand with callback.
>
> Perhaps I'm not that smart because I'm only able to start ppp by means
> of pppconfig and pon/poff. Nonetheless I've read almost everything in
> the net about this subject. But I'm somewhat confused. What
> I need is a step by step explanation on how to make it.

  Ok, take a look at my examples. I'm dialing in ISP's cisco AS and
request callback by CBCP (CallBack Control Protocol IIRC). windows RAS
has it also IMHO (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, this works for me :)

-- options to request callback

/etc/ppp/peers/cbreq
hide-password
noproxyarp
noauth
nodetach
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/mtc"
debug
/dev/ttyS0
115200
defaultroute
noipdefault
user PPP_Login_Name
0:212.0.201.1 		# i'm using dial-on-demand, so i need peer's ip address to be specified
ipcp-accept-local	# you can also add ipcp-accept-remote
ipparam provider
demand
usepeerdns
idle 600
mru     546		# do I really need this?
mtu     546
callback        752222	# what number to call you

-- options to answer callback
/etc/ppp/peers/cbans
hide-password
noauth
nodetach
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/cbans"
debug
/dev/ttyS0
115200
defaultroute
noipdefault
user PPP_Login_Name
0:212.0.201.1
ipcp-accept-local
ipparam provider
usepeerdns
idle 400
mru     546
mtu     546

/etc/chatscripts/mtc
s chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.10.
# Please do not delete any of the comments.  Pppconfig needs them.
#
# ispauth CHAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
# modeminit
'' ATZ
# ispnumber
OK-AT-OK ATDP500900
CONNECT \d\c

/etc/chatscripts/cbans
# This chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.10.
# Please do not delete any of the comments.  Pppconfig needs them.
#
# ispauth CHAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELAYED
RING ATA
CONNECT \d\c

to dial your callback ISP, you just use next commands
# pppd call cbreq
(after this you should analyze return code, on successful callback
negotiation it returns 14)
# pppd call cbans

I put all this into a script
/etc/ppp/onppp
#!/bin/sh

while true; do
echo -n "requesting ppp callback..."
/usr/sbin/pppd call cbreq
if [ $? -eq 14 ]; then
        echo "ok."
        /usr/sbin/pppd call cbans
else
        echo "Something wrong..."
fi
done

to start ppp on boot I've changed ppp_on_boot to:
/etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot
###!/bin/sh
#
#   Rename this file to ppp_on_boot and pppd will be fired up as
#   soon as the system comes up, connecting to `provider'.
#
#   If you also make this file executable, and replace the first line
#   with just "#!/bin/sh", the commands below will be executed instead.
#

# The location of the ppp daemon itself (shouldn't need to be changed)
PPPD=/usr/sbin/pppd
# The default provider to connect to
#$PPPD call provider
/etc/ppp/onppp 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

/etc/ppp/onppp should be executable. Hope this helps :) Good luck!

--

  Best regards,
  Alexey Chetroi

---
Smile... Tomorrow will be worse.   (c) Murphy's law