Re: lilo msg

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 08:54:20PM -0800, Florentin Ionescu wrote:

Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80
   fn 08: 784 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors
   fn 48: 13328 cylinders, 15 heads, 63 sectors

If it boots, don't worry about it, don't buy a machine with that
chipset again.

If it doesn't boot, go get a machine with a less broken BIOS, your
system BIOS appears to not be reporting the same drive geometry twice.
This is a Bad Thing.

I got this sort of message a while back when I had my BIOS set to "NORMAL" instead of "LBA" for the hard drives. I changed it and it went away... It seemed to be a result of using the BIOS hard drive detection routines. If I set the parameters to "AUTO" for both type and mode it also seems to go away. In all cases it didn't seem to make any difference what the setting was, as the machine booted and performed OK.

Just some personal experience FYI,

-Don Spoon-