Re: system will not soft power down

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:46:19 +0000 (GMT), Wayne Brown
<waynebrown01@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem as I have spent days
>trying to solve this already with no success.
>
>I've been running woody for around a year. Before upgrading my motherboard /
>processor (solteck 75drv5 I think, athlon xp2000) it used to soft power off no
>problem. Once I had rebuilt the pc using the existing hard disk, now I just get
>a 'power down' message and I have to hold in the power button for 5 secs before
>it shuts off the power.
><snip>
>Can anyone help by letting me know what kernel settings I should be using or
>any other help please?
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Would an analogue hardware hacker's help count?

I consider an ATX system's so-called "power off", whether "soft" or
"hold-in-button-for-5s", to be a safety hazard. Reason: it's not a
proper power off. The SMPS is still running and parts of the
motherboard are still live. To make matters worse, ATX systems
cretinously lack a REAL power switch, ie. a double-pole switch that
interrupts the mains supply.

Solution: the power switch out of a TV. In addition to the double-pole
mains contacts, these (usually) have a pair of auxiliary momentary
contacts which make when the button is pressed in and break when you
take your finger off. The double-pole contacts are wired to interrupt
the live and neutral coming in to the PSU (of course), and the
momentary contacts are wired across the standard ATX
not-really-a-power-button. This automatically "presses" the
not-really-a-power-button when you turn the PC on, so this only
requires one button press, as usual. Turning off, you wait for the
"Power down" message and simply hit the power switch. No need to mess
around pressing it for 5 seconds, just cut the mains power. Which you
SHOULD be able to do in an unmodified system.

Pigeon