system will not soft power down

Hi,
I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem as I have spent days
trying to solve this already with no success.

I've been running woody for around a year. Before upgrading my motherboard /
processor (solteck 75drv5 I think, athlon xp2000) it used to soft power off no
problem. Once I had rebuilt the pc using the existing hard disk, now I just get
a 'power down' message and I have to hold in the power button for 5 secs before
it shuts off the power.

I was using lilo with a kernel option 'apm=on' but this made no difference. I
have since switched to Grub and use the same kernel option.
I was already using my own custom compiled kernel 2.4.16 and checked that apm
was compiled into the kernel which it was. A thread I read suggested I set the
option "Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off" which I did, and it still
does not work. I also took the opportunity to grab the latest stable kernel
2.4.19 while I was about it.

I now wonder if its the bios on the motherboard thats the problem and not the
software at all,  I checked the 'power management' settings in the bios and
noticed it can / was using 'ACPI' so I tried disabling this in case this would
help. As I understand it, ACPI is a newer standard that's not fully supported
yet.

Can anyone help by letting me know what kernel settings I should be using or
any other help please?

Regards
Wayne.