Re: URGENT - How to shutdown Debian 3? - URGENT

Llies Meridja wrote:
> I have installed Debian 3 successfully but when I try shutting down I get an
> error stating that "only root can shutdown" yet when I try login as root I
> get an error saying "root cannot login from here...",
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>From where?  Are you doing this remotely?  If you're physically in front of
the box, then you should be able to log in as root without any problem.

If you're logged in remotely, it's possible that you've prevented ssh from
allowing root to log in.  In that case, you'll have to su to root when
logged in as a normal user.

There are also ways to allow a shutdown locally without logging in as root
(though you'll still have to be root to set them up).

One is to use gpm - this has some `special actions' that can occur when you
hit all 3 buttons 3 times.  Check the gpm manpage.

The other is to include your username in /etc/shutdown.allow, and an entry
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -h now
in /etc/inittab.  ctrl-alt-del will then shutdown as long as any of the
users listed in /etc/shutdown.allow are logged in.

--
You can keep your flags and emblems, I don't need them anymore
So just take your age-old hatred and then walk out of the door