Re: printing - do i give up?

Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
hello all!

i am stuck so far as my printing set-up goes.

on my debian 3.0, i have an hp 710c printer attached.

i installed cupsys, cupsys client, foomatic, foomatic-db and foomatic-bin packages installed along with all dependencies.

as root, i did lynx localhost:631

and tried setting up printer. no luck. do i need some other package?

any simple to understand procedure that will work? or do i just give up the idea of printing on my printer?

i really miss add priner wizard in windows!

thanx anyway,

sandip p deshmukh

Don't give up! All that does is admit that the Computer is smarter than you! <grin>.

According to the stuff I see at http://www.linuxprinting.org/ , your printer CAN be made to work. I "think" the problems you are having stem from not having the right "ppd" file installed. The HP 710c printer requires some special stuff that doesn't come standard with the programs you have installed. Specifically, I think you need Ghost Script installed (proably there already) and you need a special "ppd" file that is NOT included in the "standard" library that comes with CUPS and FOOMATIC. Although I don't have your specific model of printer here, here is what I would do:

1. Make sure you have all the basic stuff installed. It looks like you have the basic stuff for CUPS installed. I would recommend installing the "cupsys-bsd" package as some applications seem to want a BSD-stype printing system and this package provides that in CUPS. I would also check on Ghost Script as it is frequently used as a "filter" for various printer drivers. You can get a listing of installed printer drivers from Ghost Script by doing a "gs -h" in a console terminal. On my install a specific driver for the HP 710c is NOT present in either CUPS, FOOMATIC, or Ghost Script!

2. Make sure all the modules needed for printing are loaded. Others have mentioned this, and a quick "lsmod" will give you a listing of currently loaded modules. If the "lp", "parport", and "parport_pc" are NOT listed you will have to load them with modprobe and/or add them to your /etc/modules file.

3. Go to the http://www.linuxprinting.org/ site and select the "Printer Listings" and select your printer. It will give you some info on your printer and suggest an appropriate driver (the pnm2ppa ). Click on this driver and you will be taken to a page where you can generate the necessary ppd. Select the top option for CUPS/PPR/PPD Aware Applications, and have it generate the file. This will come up on your screen and you can save it as a text file named "HP-DeskJet_710C-pnm2ppr.ppd" using the "Save As" function of your browser. Once you have the saved "ppd" for your printer on your machine copy it to /usr/share/cups/model/ directory. The file located here should be owned by "root" and in group "root".

4. If you want a nice little "wizzard" to set up your printer go into KDE --> Control Center --> System ---> Printing Manager and select CUPS as the printing system used at the bottom of the page. When you click on the Magic Wand icon (add printer) you will be put into a very nice setup wizzard that has worked great for me. Select the printer port it detects and install the driver you just created. NOTE it will be listed under "Hewlet-Packard" and not "HP"!

This "should" get you going.  If not, I am out of ideas...

HTH,

-Don Spoon-