From: sean finney [mailto:seanius@seanius.net]
Sent: 07 November 2002 16:13
To: Mikael Jirari
Cc: 'Jamin W. Collins'; 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Re: pptp vpn

hiya,

i'm using ms chap based vpn right now, and this is what i did:

- download kernel source
# apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.19
- configure it for my machine
# apt-get install kernel-patch-mppe
- put
patch_the_kernel := YES
- in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf
# make-kpkg --revision cusom+mppe.x.x binary
# cd /usr/src && dpkg -i allthekerneldebs
- download the source for pppd
# apt-get source ppp
- find the patch somewhere online, patch it, and then
        install it into /usr/local, and as a kludge make
        /usr/sbin/pppd a symlink to /usr/local/sbin/pppd
- get the pptp client
# apt-get install pptp-linux
- configure configure configure....

the only thing that would have been cooler, and i may go back and do this sooner or later, would have been if i had built a debian package out of the patched ppp, which should be as simple as dpkg-buildpackage--assuming it patches cleanly onto the debian source, which i don't remember if it did.

hth,
--sean