Help with Netgear MA401 wireless card...?

Hi, all.

I want to get into Debian, and the most convenient box for me to use is my
laptop.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my network card to work with Debian. I
dual-boot Debian and NetBSD on the box, and NetBSD uses the card correctly
- I am writing this email over 802.11b. However, despite following the
instructions I found on the Net, I am unable to get Debian to make sense of
the card.

I've added this to /etc/pcmcia/netgear.conf:

card "NETGEAR MA401RA Wireless PC"
  manfid 0x000b, 0x7300
  bind "orinoco_cs"

dmesg (Woody/i386) says the following about the card:

eth0: Error -19 reading firmware info. Wildly guessing capabilities...
eth0: Station identity 0000:0000:0000:0000
eth0: Looks like an Intersil firmware version 0.00
eth0: Intersil firmware earlier than v0.08 - several features not supported
eth0: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
hermes @ 0x100: Card removed while issuing command.
eth0: failed to read MAC address!
orinoco_cs: register_netdev() failed

And, sure enough, "ifconfig -a" shows me no eth0, nor eth{ANTHING ELSE}, for
that matter.

Here's what NetBSD's kernel has to say about it:

wi0 at pcmcia0 function 0: NETGEAR MA401RA Wireless PC, Card, ISL37300PEval-RevA
wi0: 802.11 address 00:09:5b:0e:09:96
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3873B(PCMCIA)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.0.7), Station (1.3.6)

I'm really limited in what I can do with Debian until I get this resolved.
I assume I've missed some step, as folks on the Net seem to have gotten
this card to work for them. I'm simply unsure about what I need to do. I
know the card works fine because, as I said before, I'm using it right now.

Thanks in advance for clues.

--
Mason Loring Bliss   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us   Ewige Blumenkraft!
https://www.deadsexy.org/  awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;