Re: Fixed libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 package

Patrick Lane <patrick.m.lane@csun.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 11:05, Craig Dickson wrote:
>
>> Seriously, for your own sake (and this is the generic
>> "you", I'm not addressing Paul specifically, as I don't know what he can
>> or can't do for himself), why run unstable, which is _intended_ as a
>> place for leading-edge testing -- "catch it here before it breaks
>> something really important" -- if you aren't able to deal with the
>> problems that sooner or later _will_ arise?
>>
>> Craig
>
> Some of us using unstable use it because we have to. That is, we have to
> if we want to run Debian. For example, I installed unstable for XF86
> 4.2. w/o it, I had to do a mickey mouse work-around to get my xserver to
> start, which to me is way worse.
>
> I think your point of view on people running unstable only if they can
> fix these 'basic' problems that arise is foolhearty. The more people
> using unstable, the more bugs that are found, reported, and eventually
> fixed for future stable releases.

As long as you don't mind the occasional breakage, I don't think running
unstable is a bad idea for a lot of users.  After all, breaking your
system and then figuring out how to fix it is a great way to learn how
it all works.

The 10+ duplicate bug reports filed against libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 was a
bit much, though libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 doesn't have the longevity of
man-db and the duplicate bugs filed for "man -k" segfaults.  Poor
Colin...

--
People said I was dumb, but I proved them!