Re: Standard vs NONUS CD???

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:25:45PM -0500, Bodnyk, Bruce W wrote:
> HI,
>
> I'm a little confused about the difference between the normal binary-1 CD
> and the
> binary-1_NONUS cd. The Debian CD faq states that
>
> "The non-US software cannot be legally stored on servers that are located in
> the USA - formerly, the reason for this used to be that it contained strong
> cryptographic code, today it is that the programs use algorithms covered by
> US patents."
>
> It then goes on to say "Everyone should fetch the non-US variant for private
> use; the "non-non-US" variant is useful only for US-based mirrors and
> vendors."
>
> Aren't these two statements contradictory?  What if I'm setting up a system
> at work, Should I use the normal binary or the NONUS version? If someone
> could clear up my
> confusion I'd appreciate it!

This is very confusing.  The problem is not that the software is
outright illegal to possess in the United States.  The theory is that
it is illegal to redistribute this software in the United States.  In
the past, it was illegal to export some sorts of cryptography from the
United States as it was considered a munition.  With software patents,
distributing this software could be considered illegal to distribute
in the United States.  Fetching it from outside of the US is fine.
Using it in the US is fine, too, as far as I know, but I am not a
lawyer.

As it relates to me, I use the non-US distro in the United States when
I install my systems, and the regular distro when I burn copies to
give to others with a note about non-US and where to get those
packages online.

Edward Guldemond

GPG Key: 0x4E505B0F
Key fingerprint:  4CAC 6740 C1CD 3CE4 6CA0
                  34E9 B3B7 18EC 4E50 5B0F