Re: Looking for a backup to CD-R(W) program

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:32, Joe Nahmias wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > 	I am looking for recommendations for software to backup my
> > debian (sarge) machine to my cd burner.  As this is my home machine, I
> > don't think I need the client-server functionality of amanda or some of
> > the other backup packages... I'm just looking for something that can do
> > full and incremental backups of selected filesystems to CD in a quick
> > and simple manner.

I use a perl script called cddump, available from

http://www.joat.ca/software/cddump.html

As far as I know, it's the only program for Linux that makes direct,
uncompressed copies to CDR(W) with dumplevels 1-9.  I like this for a couple
reasons:

-writing one big compressed file as a backup makes me nervous - one little
media error could make the whole backup useless.
-backups are very easily accessible - I look for files using find or grep,
and can restore files from backup using cp.

I would like a backup scheme that compressed each file individually to CD
with dump levels, but such a program doesn't seem to exist and I'm not a
programmer enough to create it.

I have made some slight modifications to cddump so it can be used for
unattended backups by cron job, use RockRidge extensions, make the CD
readable by any user, and to send me an email if there's a disk error.  I
could send you a copy of my modified version if you want.

-Levi