XFree86 4.2, sarge. Won't run.

Ok, this one has been confusing me for the past couple of days, as it's
not something I've seen before. I have X 4.2 installed (the 4.2.0-3
packages), ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and set it to some nice
safe options, ran it, the lovely standard X background came up
and...nothing. X shuts down without even a whimper. I'm lost here, I've
had X working with this machine/card combination (back in Slack 7.1) and
I've had it working with this card on another machine (woody)
Unfortunately, I don't have access to either of those configs, one's just
too old to have been kept, and the other has "gone to a better place"
(thank you very much IBM)

I can however make available my current logs and configs (they're on a web
server to keep this message from getting to long)

/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 : http://people.unb.ca/~g026r/XF86Config-4
/var/log/XFree86.0.log : http://people.unb.ca/~g026r/XFree86.0.log
output of startx 2> startx.log : http://people.unb.ca/~g026r/startx.log

Here's my hardware config for anyone who thinks they can help:
Card: 3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 (AGP)
Card: Packard Bell PB548SVGL

I've tried it with both the stock 2.4.18bf2.4 kernel and a custom built
2.4.19 kernel, same result.

I'd run X -configure and hope for the best, but unfortunately this
monitor's one I swiped off an old 486, and as such can't be detected
properly.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Andrew

--
This sig was my last, best, chance to seem eloquent. It failed.