Re: Compiling RedHat network driver

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 23:00:32 -0500, Edward Guldemond wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:42:30AM +1000, mdevin wrote:
> > One further thing:  Obviously you don't need this kernel-headers-2.4.18
> > package to compile a 2.4.18 kernel because I didn't have it and my
> > kernel compiled OK without it.  I compiled heaps of things as modules
> > too.  That confuses me?  Why?
> >

> Part of the problem is that modversions.h is not in my kernel source
> tree.  I think that you have to turn on "set kernel version in all
> modules" for it to be in your kernel tree.  I don't do that because
> it's not necessary.  I like my kernel config as simple as possible.

I thought that it was better to turn on "set kernel version in all
modules" and all my kernels have been compiled with it on.  I don't
remember why I did it now, but I think the help on it gave me the
impression that it was better to do it.

Anyway, I didn't have the modversions.h anywhere until I installed
kernel-headers-2.4.18 package.

After reading the /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.headers file I
think I understand why the kernel-header package is required.  In
addition, I assume that the modules that are part of the kernel source
tree don't need these header files because they have the code they
comprise already in the source tree.  Only modules compiled separately
need these headers I guess.

Thanks for the help and explanation.
Mark.