Re: Compiling RedHat network driver

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:04:28 -0500, Edward Guldemond wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:30:10AM +1000, mdevin wrote:
> > I have a ASUS mobo (A7V8X) with a 10/100 Broadcom network card built in
> > (not the gigabit one).  The CD that came with the mobo has a linux
> > driver on it.  It is for RedHat, but it also has the source in a tar
> > gzip file and instructions on how to compile it and use it.
> >
> > Following the instructions, I extract the tar gzip file and issue the
> > make command in the source directory to compile the driver.  Here is the
> > output:
> > $ make
> > gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DDBG=0 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6
> > -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include   -c -o b44um.o b44um.c
> > In file included from b44um.c:19:
> > b44mm.h:31: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
> > make: *** [b44um.o] Error 1
> >
> > I got the modversions.h file from a mates computer (RedHat) and it
> > contains a whole heap of #include lines for other headers.
>
> Install the kernel-headers-<version> package.  The headers get
> extracted into /usr/src/kernel-headers-<version>.  Add that to the
> include path, and you're ready to rock.

Ahh, thank you very much.

I did the following:
apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18
export C_INCLUDE_PATH=CPATH/include:/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18/include
changed into source directory for the module
make

And it compiled without errors.  Unfortunately I can't get it to load
yet because insmod returns all these unresolved symbol errors.  I guess
that might be because there is some other module that must be loaded too
that it depends on?  Anyway, I will keep working on it.

One further thing:  Obviously you don't need this kernel-headers-2.4.18
package to compile a 2.4.18 kernel because I didn't have it and my
kernel compiled OK without it.  I compiled heaps of things as modules
too.  That confuses me?  Why?

Cheers.
Mark.