Re: No contact to ppp0

Tobias,

>I'm just migrating from RedHat 7.3 to Woody and got te following
>problem:
>when I try to dial up to the internet wvdial does everything alright
>and pppd starts up. After that I can find pp0 in /proc-directory.
>The problem ist, no programm (ping, Opera, Phoenix, GFTP etc.) uses
>or finds the ppp0-interface and instead tries to access the net via
>the eth0-interface, obviously of no avail.

>The configuration is the same as in RH 7.3 there everything works
>fine. Also user is member of dip and dialout.

Did you install diald?  If so, the solution may be simpler than you think...
1. Run 'ps -ef | grep diald'.
2. If you find it running, kill it, then try dialling in again.

I had a similar issue when I installed Woody recently.  I installed diald,
but was used to using "pon" and "poff" to dialup.  So when I came to use
pon/poff, it dialed in correctly, pppd was running fine, but I couldn't
"see out", (ie. mozilla, ping, email, etc wouldn't work).  Diald seems to
have a stranglehold on the networking.

You can use diald, of course.  All you need to do is fire up mozilla, and
start browsing (or attempt to browse) and your modem will automatically
dial-up.

Hope this helps,
Paul Phillips