Re: Forcing default (StaticGray) visual under XEmacs

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:34:54 -0500, David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org>
wrote:

>My desktop machine at home has two video cards and two monitors.  The
>second monitor is old and cheap, and it has a flaky connection on the
>blue pin which is now pretty toast.  To try to hack around this, I
>set up the second card to run in 8bpp mode with a default StaticGray X
>visual.  This works great for things like xterm, which obligingly
>display things in shades of, uh, yellow.
>
>For a lot of things I like to do text editing with xemacs; having an
>Emacs on the second display feels like a win.  But if I start XEmacs
>it's too clever for me: it detects that the display happens to have a
>PseudoColor visual available too, and decides to start up using this
>visual and a private colormap.  The result is the usual colormap
>flickering, made worse by my window manager really failing to deal
>properly.
>
>What I really want is a black-and-white XEmacs, for values of "white"
>made up by only the red and green signals on the monitor, and without
>using a private colormap.  It seems easy enough to force it to use a
>private colormap, but I don't want that!  Any hints?
>
>(Things that come to mind: figure out how to make XEmacs DTRT; figure
>out how to make XFree86 not report visuals besides StaticGray.  Would
>using GrayScale, which has dynamically allocated "colors", work?  Is
>the documentation [notably XF86Config-4(5x) and s3virge(4x)] correct
>in that the gray visuals are only available at 4 and 8 bpp?)

Wouldn't it be a LOT simpler to get the soldering iron out?

And while you're at it check the PCBs in the monitor for degraded
joints around hot-running  or heavy components, ribbon cables, plugs &
sockets etc. especially in the power supply and line output sections.
If your blue circuit has a dodgy connection, some of these are likely
to be getting iffy as well, and may do expensive damage when they
eventually fail.

Pigeon