Network Install: dbootstrap exits with error after package download

Hi folks, maybe someone can help me with this.  Although I've been
running Debian testing/unstable for many months now on what was
originally a Progeny box, this is the first time I've done a plain
vanilla Debian install.  I'm trying to install Debian 3 on a Pentium
200 w/48MB RAM and a ~600MB HD (pathetic, I know).  I've successfully
booted with the "compact" floppy set, allocated system and swap
partitions, and gotten through the network setup section.  My problem
comes when I try to do the "base system install".  I'm using the
network install method.  It successfully downloads all packages, and
then as soon as it's finished downloading, pops up a message box
reading "dbootstrap exited with an error (exit status 1)".  (That may
not be verbatim, but it's close).  I've looked at the log available on
the third virtual terminal, and at /var/log/messages, but it doesn't
have any more information.  There's an entry for dbootstrap starting,
and then the error message.

Any insight you could give on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Avdi Grimm