Re: Network Install: dbootstrap exits with error after package download

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:14:53AM -0500, Avdi B. Grimm wrote:
> Hi folks, maybe someone can help me with this.  Although I've been
> running Debian testing/unstable for many months now on what was
> originally a Progeny box, this is the first time I've done a plain
> vanilla Debian install.  I'm trying to install Debian 3 on a Pentium
> 200 w/48MB RAM and a ~600MB HD (pathetic, I know).  I've successfully
> booted with the "compact" floppy set, allocated system and swap
> partitions, and gotten through the network setup section.  My problem
> comes when I try to do the "base system install".  I'm using the
> network install method.  It successfully downloads all packages, and
> then as soon as it's finished downloading, pops up a message box
> reading "dbootstrap exited with an error (exit status 1)".  (That may
> not be verbatim, but it's close).  I've looked at the log available on
> the third virtual terminal, and at /var/log/messages, but it doesn't
> have any more information.  There's an entry for dbootstrap starting,
> and then the error message.

Maybe you have corrupt packages?  Try comparing md5sums that you gereate
locally with the ones stored on the Debian mirrors.  Have you searched
the debian-user archive? Google?  Checked if there is a bug against
debootstrap (bugs.debian.org/packagename)?

-rob