Re: What's an X2 modem?

At 09:53 AM 11/13/2002 -0200, andrej hocevar wrote:
Hello,
recently, someone's gave me an older internal USR V.90 modem,
supposed to work at 56k. However, all I got were speeds at about
33k. That was when I noticed the modem uses some X2 technology.

Can I make such a modem useful? I've read some sites saying it
depends on the ISP -- so does it mean mine doesn't support it or are
X2 modems simply out of fashion? Is there any software I lack to
make full use of the modem?

To follow-up on the other posts, if your ISP uses something other than USR(-compatible) 56k equipment, you're probably out of luck. They can be upgraded, as already mentioned. Well, some of them. I had an "X2" that was upgradeable once the standard was finalized as v.90.

The other possibility is that your phone simply does *not* support v.90 connections. If there's any sort of digital-to-analog conversion device in your "loop", it won't work. There can be only one and that's basically the "modem" at the other end. Ask your neighbors if they're able to get above 33.6k.

Hall