[repost] can't see hostname

I've recently begun playing around with Debian Woody.  Unlike my
Mandrake 8.2 machine, the Debian machine's hostname is 'inivisible' to
other machines on the network.  Even the router doesn't know its
hostname. Since its ip addr is dynamic, I'd like to be able to refer to
it by name for Webmin, putty, etc.

All that /etc/hosts.allow contains:
ALL : 172.16. : allow

The /etc/dhcpd.conf is unmodified (I believe it is entirely comments),
but I posted it here for reference:

http://home.houston.rr.com/wlott/dhcpd.conf

If I boot the same machine with Knoppix, the hostname magically appears
to the other hosts on the network.  What is Knoppix doing differently
than Debian?

thanks,
Woody