Re: exim, delivery to /home/user instead of /var/mail/user

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Livingston" <gvl2@sysmatrix.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: exim, delivery to /home/user instead of /var/mail/user

> On Tue 12 Nov 2002 13:40:33 +0100
> "Benedict Verheyen" <linux4bene@pandora.be> wrote:
>
> > >What he was trying to put across is that in the DEFAULT Debian
> > >install of Exim any mail passed to it by fetchmail shuld
> > >automatically be delivered to /var/mail/{username}. If the user has a
> > >~/.procmailrc then it would automatically be passed through procmail
> > >and delivered wherever the .procmailrc told it to go.
> > >
> > >Something is broken in your Exim installation. At this point I would
> > >suggest deleting everythin in /etc/exim and running
> > >'dpkg-reconfigure exim' or 'eximconfig' to get back to the default
> > >behaviour.
> > >
> > >Also, please post your fetchmailrc (sanitize the usernames/passwords
> > >please) here to this thread so we can see if anything appears out of
> > >whack.

> > I deleted the files in /etc/exim, ran eximconfig. Then i restarted
> > both exim and fetchmail but the mail ends up in /var/spool/exim/input
> > again. This is my /etc/fetchmailrc file:
> >
> > ==============================
> > set postmaster "user1"
> > set bouncemail
> > set no spambounce
> > set daemon 300
> >
> > poll pop.isp.com with proto POP3
> > user 'username1' there with password '123456' is 'user1' here
> >
> > poll pop3.isp2.com with proto POP3
> > user 'username2' there with password '123456' is 'user1' here
> >
> > poll pop.isp.com with proto POP3
> > user 'username3' there with password '123456' is 'user2' here
> >
> > keep
> > ==============================
>
> Hmmm -- check that the user:group for /var/mail is root:mail or
> mail:mail. Perhaps exim can't write to the spool directory and this is
> causing the failure.
>
> Mine look like this:
>
> ls -lA /var
> drwxrwsr-x    2 root     mail         4096 2002-10-28 03:33 mail
>
> ls -lA /var/spool
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      7 2002-07-05 03:18 mail ->../mail

I had reported to this list that i had a problem with my server: it
shutdown sometimes without any reason. I thought it was solved: NOT
I was so fed up, i took the HD out, switched it with the hd in my 'puter
and reinstalled.
I just installed exim and fetchmail and now i think i get the mails in the
right manner:
/var/mail/benedict contains all my mail as does /var/spool/mail/benedict.
It seems to work. I did one thing differently: i didn't choose to run
fetchmail as root and i installed fetchmail from testing instead of
unstable.
One thing i noticed is that i had to remove the line in /etc/inetd.conf
which contained exim in order to have exim run as daemon.
The exim start script apparently checks for this.

Now i'm off installing procmail. hope this works too :-)
(and that my server now finally stops rebooting. first install is funny, 2nd
install not so funny, 3th install annoying)