Re: Modem connection.

Mark L. Kahnt writes:
> If you have free local calling and unlimited access with your
> ISP/upstream, diald can be wonderful - essentially on-demand dialup when
> you are accessing the Internet, and governed disconnection when you are
> idle for a sysadmin-defined stretch.

You don't need diald for that.  Just configure pppd for demand dialing and
idle timeout.  You can do so with pppconfig or by editing /etc/ppp/options.

> ...both wvdial and pon/poff require the user to have access to the modem,
> iirc,...

No.  Pon/poff requires only that the user be in the dip group (You can put
her there with pppconfig or with adduser).

> Could someone update me about whether pon/poff will drop the connection
> when the calling user logs out?

The connection will stay up.
--
John Hasler