Re: Modem connection.

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:16, Chris Lale wrote:

> infotechsys wrote:
>  > Hi, I decided to take Nate's suggest and try to update my system
>  > print package from the net. What do most people use to get a dial-up
>  > connection working? Will wvdial be a good choice? wayne
>  >
> ppp is easily set up using pppconfig, connect with 'pon' and disconnect
> with 'poff'. Full details on setting up a serial modem using ppp in the
> 'peripherals' section at http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/
>
> Chris.
>
> --
>   ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>
> /   \
> | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.
> \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications.
>   \     Available at http://www.debian.org

I would offer that what is used should be dependent on the frequency,
duration, and intensity of a dialup connection, as well as the cost of
the connection. If you have free local calling and unlimited access with
your ISP/upstream, diald can be wonderful - essentially on-demand dialup
when you are accessing the Internet, and governed disconnection when you
are idle for a sysadmin-defined stretch. If you are in a situation where
you want more control over when you connect, and when you drop, wvdial
will handle *most generic* situations with minimal configuration effort,
but if your modem is particularly quirky, it may be beyond what wvdial
handles well, and pon/poff is probably the preferable solution.

Additionally, both Gnome and KDE have pon/poff support in applets, while
wvdial needs at least a SIGHUP to close the connection. It is also
possible to install pon/poff in many other tools, such as gkrellm, icons
on the desktop of Gnome or KDE, in the Dock of WindowMaker or AfterStep,
or as menu entries in most desktops. both wvdial and pon/poff require
the user to have access to the modem, iirc, while diald is a daemon,
running separate from the user's direction (meaning anyone generating
Internet related traffic could bring up the link.) Could someone update
me about whether pon/poff will drop the connection when the calling user
logs out? I know that wvdial will drop unless launched in the background
with nohup when the user running it logs out. Diald stays up so long as
it doesn't find itself sitting idle for a sysadmin set duration.

HTH
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org