Re: depmod and multi kernel systems

Johan Ehnberg, 2002-Nov-12 19:39 +0200:

> >And a second question. Is there any arguments for using ext2
> >instead of ext3? Cause I can't find any that would make anyone
> >choose ext2 instead of ext3, and still Debian 3.0 installs on ext2.
>
> I guess ext3 is getting mature in 2.4 kernels. Accordingly, ext3 can be
> used using the bf2.4 flavor when installing Woody.
> I see two reasons to use ext2 instead of ext3:
> -Ext2 is more mature
> -Ext3 uses up space for its journal
> On the other hand
> -Ext3's journal kicks butt.

Agreed.  I would add the following:
1) I've seen some recent tests that make Ext2 faster than Ext3
2) Ext3 on a laptop may not be desireable...the journalling tends to
   keep the drive from spinning down for power management (noflushd).

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User