Exim configuration for Laptop

I've been wondering how best to configure Exim for use on a Laptop.  How
are other Debian users configuring it?

I'm likely missing something obvious as I don't normally use Exim.
Here's my take on it so far.

The eximconfig script presents 5 options of these only the first 3 are
really possible configurations if you wish to send mail off system.
Thus, options 4 and 5 are ruled out.

Since the laptop won't always be in the same place or even on the same
network chances are quite good that any "smarthost" it is configured to
use will at some point refuse to relay messages for it.  Thus, it would
seem that options 2 and 3 are ruled out.

This seems to leave option 1.  However, using this option seems to setup
a full fledged server for a domain.  I would think that most people
would not want this for an installation on their laptop.

It seems more likely (to me at least) that something more like the
following would be desired:

- Messages addressed to anything other than user@localhost or
  user@hostname (or the IP equivalent) are delivered by exim according
  to DNS records if such connectivity is available.  If not delivery is
  postponed until such connectivity is available.

- The MUA is allowed to specify the address (user@domain) that the
  message appears to come from.

I've come close to this with combinations for option 3 and option 1, but
only close.

My current configuration is to use option 1 and list my domain
(asgardsrealm.net) as the system's "visible" domain.  This then by
default results in messages to other users on my domain attempting to be
delivered locally, which obviously doesn't work.  To get around this,
I've edited the exim.conf to remove my domain from the list of
"local_domains".

Is this the best way to configure things?

--
Jamin W. Collins