FHS, Policy, /var/local, places to put multiple CVS repositories

Hi all,

By default the cvs package places a repository in /var/lib/cvs. Great,
I'm using it. Now I want to provide a completely different CVS
repository to a workgroup here. Where should I put it?

I can't believe I'm worried about this, but strangely enough, I am ;-)
I just want to know what the "best practice" is. I read the policy and
FHS manuals but came away unsure.

It seems that the repositories should not be in their own
subdirectories of /var/lib. FHS suggests that subdirectories in
/var/lib shold be per package, with the exception of /var/lib/misc. So
can I put them in /var/lib/misc then?

Should I create subdirectories in /var/lib/cvs for each repository
instead? I would have to move the single repository currently there
into its own subdirectory and inflict some temporary pain on my
(rather small list of) users?

Can I put the new repositories in /var/local? What the heck is
/var/local for anyway?

I obviously cannot place the repositories in /etc (root partition,
very small, ext2 fs - no journals), /usr (policy dictates /usr should,
in theory, be mountable ro), /tmp or /usr/local (well, I could, but
/usr/local is really a /usr outside package control).

Yes, I know I'm being more difficult than I should!

Cheers!
Shyamal