Re: ASUS P4B533 Motherboard

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Graham Williams wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I'm at this moment in the throws of installing Debain 3.0 on an ASUS
> P4B533 based machine. So I would love to hear of any insights you
> get.
>
> My current state of play is that Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 installed just
> fine (booted with bf24 to use the 2.4.18 kernel) but the onboard
> network card is not recognised.
>
> I have an additional IDE (CMD680) in the machine but when moving to
> kernel 2.4.19, which supports this card, it becomes /dev/hda and my
> original /dev/hda seems to be lost and I can't get past trying to mount
> root partition.
>
> Regards,
> --
I've got ... 4 of these boards in Debian machines here, with one that is
the P4B533-E.

2.4.19 doesn't support the onboard ethernet because of a new PCI ID by
Intel.  2.4.20 has the added PCI ID added, and as well supports the onboard RAID
just fine(at least as a regular controller)  So you could hunt a 2.4.20
kernel, or use 2.4.20 from kernel sources.

These boards seem very stable, I use these boards with our Windows PC's
as well.

<offtopicrant>
Now, if I could get APC to admit PowerChute Pro is broken, I'd be all set.
(issues with network security with the way they share their log files(and
the program!), and the mouse cursor flickers on all 815 and 845 boards
that i've tried it on).

Their Powerchute personal only supports USB units, and their Powerchute
Business costs money, and on top of that, is horribly bloated.  Oh, and no
Win9x support.  So now I just rely on the fact that there's usually
someone here to shut the pc's off.
</offtopicrant>

Mike