Re: repost - printing - help please

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 04:44, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello all!
>
> my umpteen number of attempts to set my printer have been unsuccessful.
>
> here is the set-up:
>
> computer is running on woody 3.0
>
> hp deskjet 710c printer is connected to it on lpt1 (i am using windows nomenclature)
>
> i tried reading linuxprinting.org - could not unsderstand much
>
> here is what confuses me:
>
> lpd, lpr-ppd, lprng, cups, /dev/lp0 - too too confusing.

lpd = spooler daemon from the packages lpr or lprng
/dev/lp0 = hardware device for the printer
cups = modern spooling system; replacement for lpr/lprng

> what i really want to do is this:
>
> set-up a printer (i miss windows 'add printer wizard')
>
> be able to print basic documents from my shell and X
>
> is it really so difficult? could someone post simple to understand list of instructions?

Install packages cupsys-server, cupsys-client and cupsys-bsd.  These are
your print spooler packages.  (cupsys-bsd provides commands that are
compatible with those from lpr and lprng.)

The kernel must support use of the parallel port and printing through
it.  You need the kernel modules lp, parport and parport_pc to be
installed (or built into the kernel).  You should have lp listed in
/etc/modules, so that the module gets loaded at boot time.

If this command

	echo "You should see this on paper" >/dev/lp0

does not produce anything on the printer, it probably means that the
kernel modules are not loaded; /sbin/lsmod will tell you what is
loaded.  If the modules are not present, do (as root)
	/sbin/depmod -a
	/sbin/modprobe lp parport_pc
to load them.  (modprobe will fail if the modules are actually built
into your kernel.)  If the modules are present or built in, and that
echo command does not work, you may have a hardware problem.

Once you know that the printer device is working, read the CUPS
documentation and set up the spooler.

Once the spooler is set up, the commands lpr (from cupsys-bsd) or lp
(from cupsys-client) can be used to print documents.  Read their
manpages.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "He that loveth father of mother more than me is not
      worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more
      than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not
      his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of
      me."                   Matthew 10:37,38