Re: exim, delivery to /home/user instead of /var/mail/user

On Tue 12 Nov 2002 08:42:43 +0100
"Benedict Verheyen" <linux4bene@pandora.be> wrote:

> ------------------------
>  Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> ------------------------
>
> >Make sure your pop lines have a "is 'userx' here" line to get the
> >mail to the right users.
> It does have such a line. Yet it puts all mail in
> /var/spool/exim/input. When you are fetching mail for several users,
> that's not a good approach.
>
> >Don't do this. There is no need to. Leave exim configured the way
> >Debian expects things to be (mail in /var/spool/main/...)
> See comments above. If you are fetching mail for all users then there
> is a need to split mail into various users directories.
>
> I think it's possible to do this and then if the users has a procmail,
> let that one sort the messages in to the correct subdirectories.

What he was trying to put across is that in the DEFAULT Debian install
of Exim any mail passed to it by fetchmail shuld automatically be
delivered to /var/mail/{username}. If the user has a ~/.procmailrc then
it would automatically be passed through procmail and delivered wherever
the .procmailrc told it to go.

Something is broken in your Exim installation. At this point I would
suggest deleting everythin in /etc/exim and running
'dpkg-reconfigure exim' or 'eximconfig' to get back to the default
behaviour.

Also, please post your fetchmailrc (sanitize the usernames/passwords
please) here to this thread so we can see if anything appears out of
whack.

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com